L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Man whose homemade mortar killed girlfriend gives tearful interview

A 39-year-old unemployed handyman charged with killing his live-in girlfriend with a homemade cannonball-type mortar said he wishes it had hit him instead.

The man gave an tearful jailhouse interview to a San Diego television station.

"I'm just so sorry, if I could just go back in time I would've never done it," Richard Dale Fox said in an interview with NBC San Diego. "I just wish that the damn thing had hit me instead of her, you know?"

Fox, who has a history of weapons and spousal abuse convictions, pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder.

Bail was set at $3.5 million for Fox in the death of Jeanette Ogara, 38. He has a history of failing to appear for other court appearances, the judge noted.

Prosecutors said Fox and Ogara and several friends had been drinking when Fox stepped outside the trailer just after midnight Tuesday to ignite a homemade artillery device. Ogara remained inside.

Ogara was killed instantly when shrapnel from the device rocketed through the couple's trailer in Potrero and struck her in the chest. 

Deputy Dist. Atty. C.J. Mody said the device initially was described as a cannon but is more accurately described as a homemade mortar, a 26-inch-long metal tube that was packed with metal shards and then ignited with gunpowder.

Fox was injured in the explosion and taken to a hospital. He has since been charged with murder, use of an explosive device causing death and child abuse, all felonies. The couple's 4-year-old daughter was asleep inside and unharmed.

Fox appeared on a live-feed video during the arraignment in the El Cajon branch of San Diego County Superior Court. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

ALSO:

Key route to Yosemite to reopen after rock slide

Solar storm: No power outages so far in Southern California

Huge LACMA rock stops short in Carson after night of obstacles

-- Tony Perry in San Diego and Shelby Grad

Photo: Jeanette Ogara. Credit: Fox 5 San Diego

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: