L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

‘Speed Freak’ killer says third suspect is still on the loose

March 8, 2012 |  1:37 pm

 

'Speed Freak' killer claims there is a third suspect In a letter from death row to a Sacramento television station, convicted "Speed Freak" killer Wesley Shermantine said there is a third "apprentice" killer who has not been arrested.

The letter from Shermantine to Fox 40 Sacramento is dated March 1.

In the three-page letter, Shermantine says that fellow "Speed Freak Killer" Loren Herzog trained an apprentice named Jason Jones and taught him "how to kill and get away with it."

DOCUMENT: Read the letter from the 'Speed Freak' killer

He said he has decided to start exposing what they've done.

"I have given Jason a fair warning," Shermantine wrote. "I told he better run, get out of this country before I expose the next site."

Shermantine has already drawn maps of where he and Herzog buried as many as 20 victims of their drug-fueled murder spree that began in the mid-1980s and terrorized San Joaquin and Calaveras counties for more than a decade. Shermantine gave up the information in exchange for $33,000 provided by Sacramento bounty hunter Leonard Padilla.

Authorities began digging at the site and have already uncovered more than 1,000 bones.

Shermantine was sentenced to death row for killing four women. Herzog was to receive 77 years to life for three murders, but his sentence was overturned by an appeals court that found his confession to some of the crimes had been coerced.

Herzog served 14 years on a plea deal, was paroled in 2010 and committed suicide two months ago, shortly after a bounty hunter told him Shermantine was going to give the location of the bodies.

RELATED:

'Speed Freak' killer's sister: 'You’re not a saint'

'Speed Freak Killer' was paid $33,000 to guide search for victims

'Speed Freak Killers': Another search site may hold human remains

-- Kimi Yoshino

Comments 

Advertisement










Video