L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Man faces trial in 1988 rape, slaying of newlywed

March 3, 2012 |  8:44 am

A man is scheduled to go to trial Monday in the case of the rape and killing of his neighbor in 1988.

The case was considered cold until police said they linked the defendant's DNA to the crime eight years ago.

Jason Balcom, 41, is charged with murder during a rape, robbery and burglary.

He is accused of entering the home of Kent and Malinda Gibbons, a young newlywed couple who had just moved to Costa Mesa from Utah earlier that month. Police said Balcom lived on the same street as the Gibbonses at the time.

While Kent Gibbons was away at work, Balcom went into the home and tied Malinda Gibbons up with her husband's neckties. He then raped her and stabbed her to death, prosecutors allege. She was four to six weeks pregnant when she was killed.

Authorities claim the DNA left on the carpet and on Malinda Gibbons' body matches Balcom's. They linked the case to him after his DNA was entered into a national database after his 2004 rape conviction in Michigan, where he has been serving a 30- to 50-year sentence.

Balcom's trial is scheduled to start Monday morning at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

ALSO:

Modesto teacher resigns, moves in with 18-year-old student

7th L.A. school employee arrested on sex-related accusation

Modesto teacher who left wife to live with student has no regrets

-- Joseph Serna, Times Community News

Comments 

Advertisement










Video