L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

County may pay $500,000 in foster youth's alleged sexual assault of 9-year-old

March 12, 2012 |  5:26 pm

Los Angeles County supervisors will consider Tuesday whether to pay a half-million-dollar lawsuit settlement to the family of a 9-year-old girl who was allegedly sexually assaulted by a 17-year-old county foster youth.

The girl is the biological daughter of a certified foster parent, according to a county document. The alleged sexual assault occurred on May 30, 2009.

In a county document commenting on the lawsuit, county officials wrote that "the certified foster parents allowed children to have unsupervised, unmonitored play behind closed doors resulting in the assault of a nine-year-old girl by a seventeen-year old boy."

Through a spokesman, Principal Deputy County Counsel Lauren M. Black declined to say if the boy was criminally charged.

The document said all case-related work was in compliance with the policies of the Department of Children and Family Services, which oversees youths and children under county supervision, and there did not appear to be any countywide or other department implications because of the alleged sexual assault.

So far, the county has paid $223,072 in attorneys fees to defend against the suit. The discussion on whether to approve the $500,000 proposed settlement is scheduled to be made behind closed doors.

ALSO:

PG&E to pay $70 million in San Bruno pipeline explosion

Kids get giggles, not screams, from 'Shakey Quakey' simulator

Wife of San Francisco sheriff said plea is in 'everyone's best interests'

-- Rong-Gong Lin II at the Hall of Administration

Comments 

Advertisement










Video