L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Judge orders trespasser to stay away from Eric Garcetti's home

Eric Garcetti --  Irfan Khan - Los Angeles Times

A judge on Thursday ordered a man who twice illegally entered the home of Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti to stay away from his residence for the next three years.

Superior Court Judge Carol Boas Goodson approved the restraining order against James A. Pagano Jr., which requires that he stay at least 100 yards from Garcetti’s Silver Lake home. The order had been sought by Garcetti’s wife, Amy Wakeland, who said in a declaration earlier this year that Pagano appeared to be “an unstable individual” and possibly a substance abuser.

Pagano, 37, was convicted two weeks ago on a single count of aggravated trespassing. He also was found to have violated the terms of his probation, which stemmed from a previous conviction that resulted from his failure to comply with a domestic violence restraining order, said Deputy City Atty. Brad Rothenberg.

Garcetti has been a councilman since 2001 and is currently running for mayor. His wife said in her declaration that she was inside the home in March 2011, when Pagano first walked inside without permission. She said she was afraid for her safety and ran to a neighbor’s house to call 911.

Pagano came to her house a second time in January. During that visit, Pagano stood at the door and tried to explain that he had been drugged by a friend who was trying to steal his house for one dollar, Wakeland said.

According to Wakeland’s declaration, Pagano returned a third time last month, walked inside and said he had a “DirecTV meeting” scheduled with Garcetti. Pagano was arrested for trespassing and a judge issued a temporary stay-away order to Pagano.

[For the Record, 3:13 p.m. March  8: An earlier version of this post said that, according to Amy Wakeland, James A. Pagano Jr. walked inside her home with permission in March 2011. Wakeland actually said that Pagano walked inside without permission.]

ALSO:

Solar storm: No power outages so far in Southern California

One in five U.S. high school students now smokes, report says

Huge LACMA rock stops short in Carson after night of obstacles

-- David Zahniser at Los Angeles City Hall

 Photo: Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: