L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

2nd teacher removed from L.A. school hit by lewd acts scandal

February 3, 2012 |  8:00 am

 A second teacher has been removed from the same Los Angeles school where a teacher was accused earlier this week of lewd acts on 23 children.

The second educator at Miramonte Elementary is the subject of a criminal investigation, according to a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Spokesman Steve Whitmore said Friday morning the special victims' unit, which handles crimes of sexual abuse, is looking into allegations against the teacher.

FULL COVERAGE: Mark Berndt

“A new allegation came to our attention yesterday, and we referred the allegation to the sheriff,” said LAUSD Supt. John Deasy. “We removed the teacher from the classroom and the matter is being investigated, like when any matter comes to our attention.

“There is no determination from the authorities, and the person could be completely innocent.”

He said the name of the teacher would not be released, and the teacher is “housed,” meaning reassigned to a site where there are no students, typically a district office.

The decision to remove the teacher was made early Thursday, and Deasy did not know if the teacher was in school Thursday.

Earlier this week, Mark Berndt, a veteran teacher at the school, was arrested and charged with acts of lewd conduct involving 23 students.

Investigators said they have photographs of current and former students blindfolded and being spoon-fed a substance believed to be Berndt's semen.

RELATED:

L.A. teacher suspected of lewd conduct keeps benefits

Evidence was insufficient to charge teacher in '94, D.A. says

Miramonte teacher investigated in '94 after girl saw 'Oprah' show

-- Richard Winton

Comments 

Advertisement










Video