L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Parolee pleads to slashing Halloween partiers in Hollywood subway

February 21, 2012 |  3:20 pm

Hollywood subway station
A 25-year-old transient pleaded no contest to assault charges for using a box cutter to slash two Halloween partygoers at a Metro Red Line station last year, prosecutors said Tuesday.

In addition to two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, Lang David Dunbar agreed to a plea deal, admitting to great bodily injury and personal use of a deadly weapon, in this case a knife.

Dunbar is scheduled to be sentenced March 22 by L.A. County Superior Court Judge Terry Bork.

Under the negotiated settlement, Dunbar is expected to be sentenced to eight years and four months in state prison.

Dunbar was arrested in November after he approached one of his victims at the Hollywood and Western Red Line station and berated her for wearing a provocative Halloween costume, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.

Dunbar, who was on probation for felony forgery, accused the female victim of being a prostitute because she was wearing a provocative Halloween costume, sheriff's officials said.

The verbal confrontation escalated when the woman's male companion came to her aid. Both victims were slashed by the suspect, who fled on foot.

A witness dressed as a clown came to the aid of the couple, who were both seriously injured. Los Angeles County sheriff's Transit Services Bureau deputies reviewed video surveillance footage and, with information from the victims, witnesses and a street source, said they were able to identify Dunbar as the suspect.

Detectives said Dunbar fled to Cleveland, where he was arrested and extradited. Dunbar's arrest was the third in connection with recent attacks on Metropolitan Transportation Authority subways or at stations.

ALSO:

California gay-marriage opponents launch a legal gambit

Hollywood slashings allegedly followed comments over costume

Two stabbed at Hollywood Metro Red Line station; suspect sought

--Andrew Blankstein (Twitter.com/anblanx)

Photo: Metro Red Line Credit: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video