L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

O.C. homeless slayings: Ocampo to be charged in double homicide

February 3, 2012 |  6:54 pm

Ocampo

Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas said Friday that all charges against Eder Herrera have been dropped and instead said suspected serial killer Itzcoatl Ocampo will be charged Monday with two additional counts of murder.

However, Rackauckas cautioned, "At this point, we have not conclusively eliminated Mr. Herrera from the case."

PHOTOS: Serial killer targets O.C. homeless

Itzcoatl, a former Marine, was charged with four counts of murder in the fatal stabbings of homeless men in northern Orange County last month. The deaths, which occurred between Dec. 20 and Jan. 13, had chilled the homeless community.

Last Oct. 25, Raquel Estrada, 53, and her son, Juan Herrera, 34, we found stabbed to death in their Yorba Linda home. Eder Herrera, 24, was arrested the next morning as he drove away from a friend's house. Herrera pleaded not guilty to the stabbings in a hearing Jan. 23 and is expected to be released later Friday night.

RELATED:

Police connect Ocampo to earlier double homicide

Suspected O.C. serial killer kept knife sharpener in bedroom

Serial killer suspect said, 'I did something terrible,' uncle says

-- Nicole Santa Cruz

Photo: Former Marine Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, in court on Jan. 18. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video