L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Woman, 70, who fell asleep smoking dies in Pasadena fire

February 15, 2012 |  7:36 am

Pasadena-fire
A 70-year-old woman who was smoking when she fell asleep died after fire engulfed her Pasadena condominium, officials said Wednesday.

The woman's condominium unit had no smoke detectors, said Pasadena fire spokeswoman Lisa Derderian.

The fire, which occurred shortly before 2 a.m., was discovered after a neighbor in the unit immediately above the woman's heard his smoke detector go off, and called 911. The neighbor went downstairs but couldn't get into his neighbor's unit, Derderian said.

Firefighters arrived at the condo complex on the 200 block of West California Boulevard, near Huntington Hospital, within five minutes of the 911 call, and found the woman on her couch; authorities were unable to resuscitate her. Authorities also tried to revive the woman's cat, but the pet later died.

The fire was contained to the woman's unit, causing $175,000 in damage.

Derderian urged the public to make sure their homes have working smoke detectors and to not fall asleep while smoking.

ALSO:

Man dies in Long Beach house fire

Obama to land in L.A. Wednesday -- beware of traffic jams

Winds, chance of thunderstorms on tap for Southern California

-- Rong-Gong Lin II

Photo: Fatal Pasadena fire. Credit: KTLA-TV

Comments 

Advertisement










Video