L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Alleged trespasser ordered to keep away from L.A. councilman's home

February 17, 2012 |  8:06 pm

L.A. Councilman Eric Garcetti

This post has been corrected. See details below.

A man who allegedly twice illegally entered Los Angeles City Councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Garcetti’s Silver Lake home was ordered by a judge on Friday to stay away.

Prosecutors with the City Attorney’s Office have filed two counts of trespassing against 37-year-old James Pagano Jr. They said Pagano illegally entered Garcetti’s home twice over the past year – once in March and again last week.

Garcetti’s wife, Amy Wakeland, was home both times and requested the order. Superior Court Judge Carol Boas Goodson ordered Pagano not to come within 100 yards of Wakeland, Garcetti or other members of their household.

City News Service reported that in a sworn statement, Wakeland said Pagano showed up at the family's  door on March 6, 2011 and asked “Is Billy Here?”

Wakeland said no and closed the door, but Pagano managed to find his way into the home and Wakeland called authorities, according to CNS. Police took Pagano into custody, according to the wire service.

City News said Pagano returned Jan. 20, according to Wakeland’s statement, saying he wanted to apologize and claiming someone had drugged him.

He came back once more a couple weeks later and entered the home, according the statement quoted by the wire service.  

Deputy City Atty. William Carter said Pagano is in jail and scheduled to be released Monday. “At that point, he’ll be served with the restraining order,” Carter said.

The restraining order comes two years after Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa obtained a temporary restraining order against a man who was accused of making a threatening phone call to City Hall -- and who claimed to be communicating with the mayor "via the television."

Daniel John Molnar, 46, was ordered to stay 100 yards from Villaraigosa and City Hall and not make any calls to the mayor's office, according to court records. In a declaration, Villaraigosa said he believed the threats to be credible and was "concerned for the safety of the employees of my office, myself and my family."

[Corrected, 9:45 p.m.: A previous version of this post said Pagano "broke into" the home. It was an illegal entry.]

ALSO:

Boy, 2, beaten to death by mother’s boyfriend, authorities say

John and Ken apologize for Whitney Houston 'crack' comments

Police believe East Hollywood gunman may have killed himself

--Ari Bloomekatz and David Zahniser

Photo: Los Angeles Councilman Eric Garcetti. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video