L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Second girl in alleged drowning attack may be taken off life support

A 5-year-old girl was declared dead Monday night, officials said, several days after she and her 1-year-old sister were the victims of an alleged drowning attack at the hands of their motherThis post has been corrected. See note at the bottom for details.

A 5-year-old girl is still alive and on life support, officials said, several days after she and her 1-year-old sister were the victims of an alleged drowning attack at the hands of their mother.

Lorna Valle, 32, allegedly shoved her daughters face-first into a tub in their home on the morning of Feb. 15, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

The younger daughter, Lindsay, died after being rushed to a hospital. Her older sister, Marian, remained in a coma at Children's Hospital Los Angeles for several days afterward.

Firefighters arrived at the home in the 900 block of West 50th Street about 7:30 a.m. last Wednesday and found the girls unconscious.

Valle's husband told authorities he found the children unclothed, wet and unresponsive on the floor.

Jose Lopez told KTLA News on Monday that he decided to take Marian off life-support so her organs could be donated.

Valle has been taken into custody and is facing criminal charges. Police continue to investigate the case.

"I don't know what made her snap," said Los Angeles Deputy Police Chief Pat Gannon.

[For the Record, 8:15 a.m. Feb. 21: The headline and text of an an earlier version of this story incorrectly said that the girl had been declared dead.]

ALSO:

Boy, 2, beaten to death by mother’s boyfriend, authorities say

John and Ken apologize for Whitney Houston "crack" comments

Police believe East Hollywood gunman may have killed himself

--Shelby Grad

Photo: Lorna Valle with her two daughters. Credit: KTLA

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: