L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Mother of arson suspect accused in breast augmentation fraud case

Sheriff's deputies detain Harry Burkhart, 24.

Extradition proceedings for Dorothee Burkhart, the mother of the man suspected of setting a series of fires around Los Angeles, were pushed back to later this week to allow her time to retain her own attorney.

She was arrested Thursday on a criminal warrant issued by German authorities. A day later, the series of more than 50 fires started. Her son, Harry Burkhart, was arrested Monday and booked on arson charges.

The seven-page complaint filed by Assistant U.S. Atty. Cathy Ostiller said that the government was “informed through diplomatic channels” that Dorothee Burkhart is charged in state court in Frankfurt with “19 counts of fraud committed on a commercial basis and as a member of a gang.”

MAP: Southland arsons

The complaint details about $45,000 worth of alleged embezzlement of renters and landlords with whom she did business between 2000 and 2006. The largest sum listed in the complaint was about $10,000.

Burkhart allegedly owed a Frankfurt plastic surgeon who performed a breast augmentation operation on her in 2004 after she provided falsified records of an advance payment.

It was unclear from the complaint why Burkhart became such a high-priority target in an international dragnet. The warrant for her arrest was issued Sept. 24, 2007, by Judge Hans-Ulrich Biernath in a Frankfurt court. The offenses for which she was sought are covered by the extradition treaty between Germany and the United States, Ostiller said.

Citing Interpol as well as German diplomatic authority, the complaint described Burkhart as a “German national.” But she spoke German as haltingly as she spoke English. She had first been provided with a Russian-language interpreter for the initial deportation hearing last week, which Magistrate Judge Margaret Nagle referred to as having been of little assistance.

FULL COVERAGE: Southland arsons

Burkhart on Tuesday declined to be represented by the federal public defender’s office, telling the judge: “I don’t want an attorney from this government.” She glared across the room at Ostiller as she made the statement. She had also refused a public defender at a hearing last Thursday.

Nagle ordered the woman back to court Friday afternoon for a hearing on whether she qualified for the “requisite special circumstances” for bail while awaiting extradition. Nagle also told Burkhart that she would be allowed to speak with representatives from the German consulate.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles, said that from the time of Burkhart’s arrest, the German government had 60 days to file a formal request for extradition.

RELATED:

FULL COVERAGE: Southland fires

Los Angeles arson fires char holiday spirit

Ruin, wreckage at Jim Morrison's former home

-- Carol J. Williams and Victoria Kim

Photo: Harry Burkhart is shown after his arrest Monday in Hollywood. Credit: KTLA News

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: