L.A. Councilman Eric Garcetti being tweaked by fake tweets
Someone has created a fake Twitter account using the name of Los Angeles Councilman Eric Garcetti -- and is making mischief for the mayoral hopeful in the process.
The satirical Twitter account, which goes under the handle @Eric_Garcetti, has churned out a series of tweets over the last 10 days that lampoon the 40-year-old councilman, portraying him as an urban sophisticate who is bit too concerned with aesthetic and environmental choices.
A few samples of the tweets, each of which pretend to be from Garcetti:
- Jan. 24: I missed the beautiful sunset everyone is talking about. Grr…
- Jan. 24: Making calls from my free range, grass fed, ethanol-powered car
- Jan. 26: Trees need people and people need trees!
- Jan. 28: This morning, I pruned, fertilized and watered my fruit trees. The pomegranates look particularly promising this year.
- Jan. 28: The night gusts like the cool winds of change blowing through our precious City of Angels. Buenos noches, Los Angeles.
The source of the satirical tweets has not surfaced. But Garcetti’s staff contacted some of the account’s followers to let them know that the tweets are not actually being sent by the councilman -– and that they should follow @ericgarcetti if they want the real deal.
“The tweets are harmless,” said Garcetti spokesman Yusef Robb. “But we would hope people follow the authentic Eric Garcetti, so they’re getting accurate and helpful information.”
Meanwhile, the actual Eric Garcetti spent part of Tuesday tweeting about such topics as the arrival of El Salvador’s first lady and the vote to hire a ratepayer advocate at the Department of Water and Power. Probably not as intriguing as pomegranates and grass-fed cars.
-- David Zahniser and Kate Linthicum at Los Angeles City Hall