L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Boy, 3, dies after swallowing pushpin; parents sue Oceanside school

January 6, 2012 | 11:24 am

The parents of a 3-year-old boy who choked to death after swallowing a pushpin at the Oceanside Montessori School has filed a lawsuit against the school.

Tyler Howell was attending the school in October when he swallowed the pushpin, then died, according to the Howell family.

The state discovered a number of violations on the part of the school, according to the Howell family. One violation includes that their son was allowed to use the bathroom alone, which is where he found the pushpin, the boy's father Danny Howell said.

Howell family lawyer Dave Casey and the Howell family have begun work on state legislation to ban all pushpins from preschool to kindergarten classrooms.

The family said it would also like to see labels added to pushpin boxes warning people to keep them away from small children.

The school did not immediately return calls from Fox 5 San Diego seeking comment.

ALSO:

L.A. stand-up comic killed by suspected drunk driver

Nick Cannon's likely kidney disorder known as 'silent' disease

Kim Kardashian told to 'pay up' by group seeking tax on wealthy

-- Erika Fox, Fox 5 San Diego

Comments 

Advertisement










Video