L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspicious briefcase at Hall of Records deemed harmless [Updated]

December 8, 2011 | 11:15 am

The Los Angeles County Hall of Records was evacuated and downtown streets were blocked Thursday morning after someone reported a suspicious package in the bushes outside the building. The object, a briefcase that had been partially buried in the bushes, was determined to be harmless.

Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said the package was found at about 8:42 a.m. and the department's bomb squad responded. As of 10:50 a.m., the scene had been cleared and people were allowed to return to the building.

[Updated at 11:55 a.m.: Whitmore said the object was a “handmade wooden briefcase” with nothing inside.]

ALSO:

90-year-old woman tied up, robbed at gunpoint in her home

Decomposed body found in man's bathtub may be of missing woman

Woman killed in Cal State Long Beach elevator accident was 9-year employee

-- Abby Sewell

Comments 

Advertisement










Video