L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Governor declares state of emergency for 60 Freeway

December 20, 2011 | 11:32 am

Gov. Jerry Brown made an emergency proclamation Tuesday to help speed the demolition and reconstruction of the 60 Freeway bridge damaged in a tanker truck explosion
Gov. Jerry Brown made an emergency proclamation Tuesday to help speed the demolition and reconstruction of the 60 Freeway bridge damaged in a tanker truck explosion.

The declaration temporarily suspends statutes, rules and regulations associated with highway projects to allow state and local authorities to quickly award contracts and speed the reconstruction process, Brown's office said.

It also frees up state dollars to help pay for repairs to the bridge and roadway, officials said.

PHOTOS: Fiery crash on the 60 Freeway

A portion of the 60 Freeway in Montebello has been closed since Wednesday when a tanker truck explosion damaged the Paramount Boulevard overpass.

Crews having been working nightly since Monday to repair the damage.

At 10 p.m. Tuesday, two of four eastbound lanes on the freeway will be closed from Wilcox Avenue to Paramount Boulevard and a third lane will be shut down at midnight, Caltrans officials said.

On the westbound side of the freeway, all lanes will be closed from San Gabriel Boulevard to Paramount Boulevard at 11 p.m.

All lanes will be reopened at 5 a.m. Wednesday for daytime traffic.

ALSO:

Feds warn Fremont man who gives out his sperm for free

Gunman in Irwindale shooting had some financial problems

Obama threatened, called "monkey" by ex-Carson council candidate

-- Catherine Saillant

Photo: 60 Freeway bridge demolition work last week. Credit: Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video