L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

High winds: Caution urged using candles, generators during outage

December 1, 2011 | 10:58 pm

Click here to see more photos.Despite the widespread power outages and the darkened neighborhoods, Los Angeles Fire Department officials are urging residents not to use candles because of the risk of fire they present during high winds.

The Fire Department recommends that people stuck indoors -- or out -- during the outages use battery-powered flashlights or lamps as well as chemical lightsticks as alternatives to candles, according to Tweets sent out by the department.

PHOTOS: Santa Ana winds | Submit your photos

Those using portable generators during power outages should be sure they are installed correctly because they can quickly produce high levels of carbon monoxide, a harmful odorless, colorless gas. Anyone using a generator also should use a carbon monoxide detector, now required in all single-family homes.

 ALSO:

Santa Ana winds: Rare weather system produced powerful gusts

Santa Ana winds: Pasadena neighborhood boxed in by fallen trees

Santa Ana winds: L.A. residents urged to stay indoors tonight

-- Hailey Branson-Potts

Photo: Damage on San Pasqual Street in Pasadena. Credit: Mark Boster/ Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video