L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

60 Freeway won't reopen until Saturday at earliest, officials say

Work was continuing to demolish the Paramount Boulevard bridge over the 60 Freeway, but complications discovered late Thursday mean that the highway may not reopen by this afternoon's rush hour
Work was continuing today to demolish the Paramount Boulevard bridge over the 60 Freeway, but  complications discovered late Thursday mean that the highway, closed since Wednesday noon, may not reopen by this afternoon's rush hour, as state transportation officials had initially thought.

KTLA was reporting that the roadway is now scheduled to reopen Saturday at the earliest. Area commutes, meanwhile, are expected to be further hampered by high winds, forecast for today through Saturday, particularly in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

Photos: Tanker blaze closes 60 Freeway

The 60 Freeway was closed Wednesday after a big rig carrying 8,800 gallons of gasoline caught fire while heading east. It came to rest under the overpass. The blaze that ensued damaged the bridge over eastbound lanes to the point where the state Department of Transportation (Caltrans) determined it had to be demolished. A decision on whether to demolish the bridge over the westbound lanes had not been made late Thursday.

The fire and work on the bridge have closed the freeway since then, though a portion of the road has been reopened at Rosemead Boulevard. The 60 is now closed between the 710 Freeway and Rosemead.

Stalling the work on the overpass was the discovery Thursday night of fiber-optic cables "that house potentially hazardous material," Patrick Chandler, a spokesman for Caltrans, told the Times.

The cables were found to be encased in plastic tubing containing asbestos, KTLA reported this morning. Moreover, cutting the cables, which run the length of the bridge, would disrupt phone service for nearby businesses and homes.

The new developments mean that crews have to come up with an alternative plan to tear down the damaged span.

Officials, meanwhile, have also been waiting for test results of concrete on the part of the bridge over the westbound freeway lanes, which would determine whether they also need to demolish that side of the bridge.

The test results came back Thursday night, but Chandler said Caltrans officials in Sacramento were not releasing the findings, wanting to do more analysis.

"They want to have a second set of eyes before they take action," he told The Times.

The new complications, he said, mean the opening of the freeway would probably be delayed.

"It's most likely not going to be at 12 or 5" p.m. Friday, he said.

RELATED:

Alternate routes

Blocked 60 Freeway doubles and triples drivers' commute times

-- Sam Quinones
twitter.com/samquinones7

Photo: Caltrans crews and engineers work on the Paramount bridge over the eastbound 60 Freeway on Thursday. Credit: Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: