60 Freeway to close in area where tanker fire damaged overpass
State transportation officials are reminding motorists that a section of the 60 Freeway will be closed for several hours beginning Monday night so crews can continue demolishing an overpass damaged by a massive tanker truck fire.
At 10 p.m., two of the four eastbound lanes on the 60 will be closed from Wilcox Avenue to Paramount Boulevard. A third lane will be shut down at midnight, the California Department of Transportation said.
On the westbound 60, all lanes will be closed from San Gabriel Boulevard to Paramount Boulevard at 11 p.m., the agency said.
All lanes of the freeway will reopen at 5 a.m.
PHOTOS: Fiery crash on the 60 Freeway
The Paramount Boulevard overpass in Montebello was damaged last week when a tanker truck filled with 8,800 gallons of gasoline exploded and burned under the bridge.
The incident caused officials to shut down about 10 miles of the freeway. The closure created several days of massive gridlock for motorists traveling to and from Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire.
About 220,000 vehicles travel the 60 Freeway daily in the area affected by the inferno, according to the Caltrans.
The cause of the truck fire is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol.
— Robert J. Lopez
Photo: Workers demolish the 60 Freeway overpass above Paramount Boulevard after last week's tanker truck explosion. Credit: Christina House / For The Times