Occupy Oakland: Protesters leave port, plan to return downtown
The number of Occupy Oakland protesters gathered at the Port of Oakland was thinning fast Wednesday night, and organizers were calling for demonstrators to reconvene at the civic center plaza downtown.
About 8:30 p.m., a group of organizers on a flatbed truck drove through the crowd and asked them to reconvene at the plaza at 10 p.m. to celebrate. "This night is not over," one said through a bullhorn. "Meet us there. This night is not over."
Trucker Manny Singh honked his horn and pumped his fist in support.
The port was officially shut down late Wednesday, port officials said. The night shift was supposed to report at 7 p.m., then 9 p.m., before the shift was cancelled entirely.
Police estimated the number of protesters at 4,500 Wednesday, but some media reports put the crowd at about 10,000 at one point. Despite a few incidents of vandalism, there were no arrests and the demonstration was largely peaceful, police said.
"I'm very proud, particularly given what happened with the police" last week, said Jim Stockinger, a retired UC Berkeley sociologist and union steward. "The fact that this was such a positive display of democratic protest says a lot for the community."
Although he called Mayor Jean Quan's choices last week "ridiculous" when police clashed with protesters, he said, "she made some good decisions tonight."
-- Lee Romney in Oakland
Photo: Paramedics help an Occupy Oakland protester who was struck by a car Wednesday. Credit: Anda Chu / Oakland Tribune