L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Sleep doctor: Treating Michael Jackson with propofol 'inconceivable'

Dr. Nader Kamangar testifies in Dr. Conrad Murray's trial
A sleep doctor who said Dr. Conrad Murray's treatment of Michael Jackson's insomnia with the surgical anesthetic propofol was "inconceivable" is expected to resume his testimony Thursday in the trial concerning the singer's death.

Nader Kamangar, a UCLA associate professor who evaluated Murray's care as an expert reviewer for the California Medical Board, told jurors Wednesday that the physician had violated the most basic standards and ethics in medicine in his treatment of Jackson.

Kamangar is one of three medical experts expected to testify for prosecutors in the third week of Murray’s involuntary-manslaughter trial.

"It's kind of beyond a departure of standard of care to something that we would never even fathom doing," Kamangar said in his testimony.

Echoing experts who have testified before him, Kamangar said his opinions concerning Murray's actions would remain unchanged even if it were found that Jackson had given himself the lethal dose that led to his death.

Murray's attorneys contend that the singer injected himself with propofol while the doctor was out of the room.

"Even under a scenario put forth by the defense that Mr. Jackson self-administered ... the risk of that happening should have been a foreseeable thing?" Deputy Dist. Atty. David Walgren asked.

"Oh, absolutely," Kamangar replied.

Also expected on the stand is an anesthesiologist, Dr. Steven Shafer, one of the leading experts on propofol.

One of Shafer's reports, which offered the opinion that propofol would not have any effect if taken orally, led defense attorneys to ask for a delay in the trial earlier this year.

On Wednesday, defense attorneys said they would not be arguing that Jackson could have drunk the propofol, a change in course from what they had argued at hearings earlier this year.

ALSO:

O.C. rug merchant’s sexual assault victims now at 11, police say

Scarlett Johansson, Mila Kunis, Christina Aguilera hacked, FBI says

Southern California heat wave raises wildfire threat, officials warn

-- Victoria Kim at Los Angeles County Superior Court

Photo: Nader Kamangar in court Wednesday. Credit: Robyn Beck / Pool

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: