L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Seal Beach shooting: Alleged gunman said ex made 'harassing' calls

Scott Evans Dukraai, in a 2007 affidavit, told of "harassing and threatening" phone calls made by his ex-wife

In an affidavit filed in 2007, the alleged gunman in the Seal Beach shooting rampage told of "harassing and threatening" phone calls made by his ex-wife.

"This behavior has escalated since I filed for divorce and has gotten progressively worse," Scott Evans Dekraai wrote in court documents.

The next year, a court order limiting communication between Scott Evans Dekraai and Michelle Fournier -- and limiting her alcohol intake -- was issued.

Full coverage: Deadly shooting at Seal Beach beauty salon

Dekraai was arrested Wednesday after the shooting that left eight dead and one injured at the Salon Meritage on Pacific Coast Highway. A custody dispute with Fournier, who worked at the salon, is thought to be a motive for the shooting. The couple was married about five years.

In the affidavit, Dekraai detailed an incident on April 11, 2007, when Fournier made "a total of 21 calls to my cell phone, my mother's cell phone and to my family's home phone."

Dekraai stated that he had been living with his parents since a tugboat accident earlier that year, and said that Fournier had told his father, "You are all loony toons. You better all shave your heads because I am going to get social workers and have you all drug tested."

She then said, according to the documents, "Drunk man, drunk man, drunk man," to which his father replied, "Stop harassing us. You belong in a mental hospital."

All of the calls were preceded by a threat that she would not let Dekraai pick up their 8-year-old son from school, according to the affidavit.

In the documents, Dekraai said he could hear their child's voice in the background during the phone calls, once begging, "Stop Mommy."

RELATED:

Photos: Seal Beach shooting

Suspect suffered PTSD from boat injury

Sole survivor of Seal Beach shooting rampage "improving"

-- Nicole Santa Cruz in Seal Beach

Photo: Scott Evans Dekraai. Credit: Seal Beach Police Department

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: