L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Seal Beach shooting: Murder charges expected against suspect

October 14, 2011 |  7:07 am

Scott Evans Dukraai
This post has been corrected; see bottom of post for details.

Murder charges were expected to be filed Friday against a man suspected of killing his ex-wife and seven others in a shooting rampage at a Seal Beach beauty salon.

Scott Evans Dekraai of Huntington Beach is the suspect in the worst mass killing in Orange County. He was being held without bail since his arrest Wednesday after the massacre at the Salon Meritage on Pacific Coast Highway.

Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas and Seal Beach Police Department Capt. Tim Olson, the department's acting chief, planned to hold a news conference late Friday morning to discuss the charges against Dekraai, who turns 42 Monday.

Seal Beach shooting victims: Who's who

The eight people killed were the salon's owner, Randy Lee Fannin, 62; Victoria Ann Buzzo, 54; Lucia Bernice Kondas, 65; Laura Lee Elody, 46; Christy Lynn Wilson, 47; hair stylist Michelle Marie Fournier, 48, Dekraai's ex-wife; Michele Daschbach Fast, 47; and David Caouette, 64.

The sole survivor of the shooting, Hattie Stretz, 73, remained in critical condition at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.

Fournier and Dekraai were engaged in a bitter custody battle over their 8-year-old son.

Fournier's attorney, John Cate Jr., told the Orange County Register that Dekraai and his ex-wife were in court the day before the shooting. Dekraai had been seeking sole custody of his son, but a court-ordered report recommended against it.

“Scott Dekraai’s demeanor throughout this case has been controlled, and he never gave any indication that he housed the potential for such destruction and carnage,” Cate said in a statement.

Court records show that Dekraai was not supposed to have firearms and had to move out of his stepfather's home after LeRoy J. Hinmon complained in 2007 that Dekraai attacked him.

He was also accused of attacking his stepfather in front of his son, who was 4 at the time, and was supposed to complete a 52-week domestic abuse program.

In 2007, Dekraai filed court documents complaining of "harassing and threatening'' phone calls from his ex-wife.

Fournier was prohibited from drinking alcohol while she had custody of the boy and the day before picking him up, according to the court records.

[For the Record, Oct. 14 at 9:19 a.m.: A previous version of this post incorrectly spelled the first name of Michele Daschback Fast; it also omitted her last name, identifying her as Michele Daschback.]

RELATED:

'This coward will be brought to justice'

Shooting suspect suffered PTSD from boat injury

Full coverage: Deadly Seal Beach shooting

-- From a Times staff writer

twitter.com/LAJourno

Photo: Seal Beach shooting suspect Scott Dekraai. Credit: Seal Beach Police Department

Comments 

Advertisement










Video