Pot brownies sent to memorial were favored by man who passed away
Police said a number of mourners at a memorial service at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach unknowingly ate brownies containing marijuana.
The three patients — an 82-year-old man and two 71-year-old women who live in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach — were hospitalized within an hour of each other after experiencing nausea, dizziness and the inability to stand on their own, said Huntington Beach Police Department Lt. Russell Reinhart.
"The guy who passed away used to eat marijuana brownies," Reinhart told the Huntington Beach Independent. "Someone sent them out because he used to eat them, but no one knew what was in them. They were sitting on a table, and people were snacking on them and three people got sick."
"There is a lot of desensitization by calling it medical marijuana," Reinhart added. "There are still problems with medical marijuana because it is a drug, so it can make people sick. There are also crimes associated with it."
--Mona Shadia, Times Community News