Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband says he's running for mayor -- no, really
Von Anhalt -– Zsa Zsa Gabor's seventh and current husband -– told KTLA that he put up a billboard Wednesday to clue in L.A. residents that he intends to run for mayor in 2013. A formal announcement, he said, would be coming Thursday.
The would-be candidate has spent much of the last year looking after his ailing wife, who has been in and out of the hospital and most recently had her right leg amputated after it became infected.
The task of caring for his wife -– not to mention trying to sell their French Regency-style mansion in Bel-Air -– is what derailed his plan to become governor, he said.
Initially, Von Anhalt said, he was confident the one-acre property would sell quickly, even with an asking price of $28 million.
"The economy doesn't mean a thing in Bel-Air," he told The Times when the house went on the market. "The prices of houses just go up."
But it didn't quite happen that way.
Von Anhalt, 68, said he's now refocused on politics and intends to work on behalf of the homeless and unemployed if elected
-- Steve Marble
Photo: Frederic Prinz von Anhalt in front of the couple's Bel-Air home. Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times