L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Compton area fire that killed 3-year-old blamed on electrical problem

October 7, 2011 | 10:31 pm

Compton 
A fire that tore through a house near Compton, leaving a 3-year-old boy dead, was caused by an electrical problem and has been classified as accidental, authorities have announced.

Ivan Boggs was found outside the bathroom of the two-story home in the 800 block of East Lennon Street after the Thursday blaze. He was unconscious and pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

His 38-year mother suffered minor injuries trying to save him, investigators said. She later escaped through a second-floor balcony.

Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Don Kunitomi said late Friday evening that the electrical problem could have been a short circuit or bad wiring.

The mother was "very upset and despondent," authorities said.

ALSO:

Kelly Thomas case: Fullerton officers paychecks cut off

Man used gun fiancee gave him to kill her, prosecutor says

Federal officials begin major crackdown on marijuana operations

-- Gale Holland

Photo: Scene of Thursday's fire near Compton. Credit: KTLA-TV

 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video