L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Alert citizen noted car of suspect in San Diego freeway shootings

October 4, 2011 | 11:47 am

San Diego freeway shooting suspect arrested
An alert citizen spotted the car of the suspect in a series of freeway shootings in San Diego County and called 911 Tuesday morning, leading to the man’s arrest, authorities said.

California Highway Patrol officers, with guns drawn, pulled over the suspect’s white Chevrolet Malibu about 10:15 a.m. on a freeway onramp in Lakeview Terrace.

Enrique Ayon, 24, was arrested at the scene without incident. He is believed responsible for wounding one motorist and hitting two cars and an ambulance in Monday's shootings.

Ayon was officially named as a person of interest in the shootings after his 2006 vehicle was identified by witnesses as the gunman's vehicle, the CHP said.

The shootings resulted in the temporary closure of stretches of Interstate 805 and Interstate 5, as investigators searched for shell casings and other evidence.

CHP investigators from San Diego are headed to Los Angeles to question the suspect, said CHP spokesman Art Athans in San Diego. Preliminary ballistics confirm that the same gun was used in all four shootings, he said.

It remains unclear whether there were one or two persons in the Chevrolet Malibu at the time of the shootings, Athans said. “We have conflicting evidence on that.”

The make and license number of the suspect's car had been posted on changeable electronic billboards on Southern California freeways.

ALSO:

Map of San Diego freeway shootings

Rapper Tone Loc pleads no contest to charges

LAPD to pull officers off patrol to deal with influx of offenders

--Tony Perry and Richard Winton

Photo: San Diego freeway shooting suspect is arrested Tuesday by CHP officers. Credit: Kimi Yoshino / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video