$83,000 raised for Seal Beach salon shooting victims' families
At least $83,000 in donations has been raised so far to help families of the victims of the Seal Beach salon massacre, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
Various fundraising efforts are in the works, ranging from “cut-a-thons to a trust created by Seal Beach officials,” the Orange County Register said.
The money will go to assist families of the eight shot dead Oct. 12 at Salon Meritage, including the owner. A ninth shooting victim survived.
The Seal Beach Chamber of Commerce has joined with the city and the owners of the salon's building, Watson & Associates, to coordinate the donations and their distribution.
They have have created a trust that will work as a clearinghouse.
Those wishing to donate to trust via the Seal Beach Victims’ Fund can find information on the city's website or visit the Bank of America branch on Main Street or the chamber's office at 201 Eighth Street.
Donations can also be made to the Salon Meritage Memorial Fund, which has been set up by family members of salon owner Randy Fannin, the newspaper said.
Fannin was killed a week ago along with salon employees Victoria Buzzo, Michelle Fournier, Laura Webb and Christy Wilson and clients Michele Fast and Lucia Kondas.
David Caouette was shot while sitting outside the salon in his car.
The ninth victim, Hattie Stretz, was released from the hospital Monday.
Scott Dekraai, Fournier's ex-husband, was arrested in connection with the crime. The two were engaged in a bitter custody battle over their young son.
— Ann M. Simmons
Photo: Well-wishers leave flowers and memorial candles outside Salon Meritage. Credit: Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times.