Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspect arrested in San Bernardino shooting that left toddler dead [Updated]

September 15, 2011 |  9:48 am

Nylah Franco-Torres. Click to see more photos.

San Bernardino police on Thursday said they had arrested a suspect in Monday’s shooting that left a 3-year-old girl dead and a pregnant woman and her young daughter seriously wounded.

The suspect fired shots at a crowded front porch apparently in an act of revenge, police said. An hour before, a Good Samaritan who lived in the house saw the suspect beating a woman down the street and stopped the assault, allowing the woman to escape.

Photos: San Bernadino shooting

Police spokeswoman Lt. Gwendolyn Waters said more details about the suspect and investigation would be released at a 3 p.m. news conference.

[Updated at 10 a.m.: Waters said the suspect in custody is 19 years old and was arrested at 5:09 p.m. Wednesday just two blocks from where the shooting occurred.

She declined to provide the suspect’s name or details of what led to his arrest, saying police and county prosecutors were discussing what information could be released without jeopardizing the case.

Members of the city’s gang unit made the arrest, Waters said.

"It wasn’t a tip, it was really good investigative work by our detectives," Waters said. "They got this guy identified and in custody less than 48 hours after the shooting."]

San Bernardino Police Chief Keith Kilmer had called the shooting "tragic, senseless and despicable."

The shooting happened about 7:45 p.m. Monday in the 1300 block of D Street, just six blocks from the police department, as relatives gathered at the home of Sophia Cardona were about the sit down for dinner.

Nylah Franco-Torres, 3, was shot in the head and pronounced dead at a hospital.

Cardona said her granddaughter La-Donna Howie, 21, and Howie's daughter Justine, 3, were the others wounded. Howie, who is five months' pregnant, was listed in stable condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. Her unborn child was unharmed and in good condition, police said. Justine was in extremely critical condition at Loma Linda University Medical Center with a head wound.


FBI investigating allegations of celebrity phone hacking

Woman thinks she won lottery jackpot after newspaper misprint

Asteroid near Earth: Fireball in Southwest prompts talk of UFO, aliens

-- Phil Willon in Riverside

Photo: A police officer distributes copies of a family photo of Nylah Franco-Torres. Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times