Rotting animal drives students from classroom in Glendale
Students at a Glendale elementary school were expected to return to their classrooms Wednesday after being displaced by chemical fumes released during the cleanup of a decomposing animal.
Two teachers at Dunsmore Elementary who became ill remained on medical leave, while Principal Karen Stegman and a maintenance worker were examined Friday and cleared to continue working, officials told the Glendale News-Press.
No students were injured, officials said.
It began Sept. 20 when school staffers noticed a peculiar odor and asked maintenance workers to investigate.
“To me, it smelled like an old diaper that had been sitting in a trash can for a couple of days,” Stegman said.
Maintenance workers poured industrial-strength cleaner down the hole, but did not fill it with dirt, Frasher said.
That night, fumes from the solution rose into one kindergarten classroom and one kindergarten-first grade split classroom, irritating the teachers’ eyes, throats and sinuses.
-- Megan O'Neil, Times Community News