L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Officers charged in Kelly Thomas death won't be paid

Photo: Fullerton police officers Jay Cicinelli, right, and Manuel Ramos. Credit: Orange County district attorney's office. The two officers charged in the July death of a homeless man in Fullerton will be placed on leave without pay starting Oct. 8, Fullerton officials said Thursday after a closed-door meeting.

Officer Manuel Ramos and Cpl. Jay Cicinelli have been on paid administrative leave since early August, along with the other four officers involved in the July 5 incident that led to Kelly Thomas' death.

Last week, the Orange County district attorney's office filed charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter against Ramos and of involuntary manslaughter and excessive use of force against Cicinelli.

Both officers have been released on bail.

Acting Police Chief Kevin Hamilton released a statement saying, "The intent to change their pay status was made after consulting with our city attorneys regarding law that is relevant to this area."

The officers have until Oct. 7 to appeal the decision.

City spokeswoman Sylvia Palmer said the appeal process would begin with the chief, then could be appealed to the city manager, to an independent arbitrator and finally to the City Council.

The other four officers involved in the incident will remain on paid leave, pending completion of a city-commissioned independent investigation by consultant Michael Gennaco, an internal investigation and another ongoing investigation by the FBI’s civil rights division.

ALSO:

Surge in heroin arrests alarms Newport Beach police

Deputies cleared in fatal shooting of man holding cellphone

Irvine woman faces manslaughter charge in red-light crash

-- Abby Sewell

Photo: Fullerton police officers Jay Cicinelli, right, and Manuel Ramos. Credit: Orange County district attorney's office.

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: