L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Coyotes take over abandoned Glendale home

September 12, 2011 | 10:53 am

Coyote
Officials are evaluating whether to set traps for a pack of coyotes that has taken over a burned-out home in Glendale.

The home in the 300 block of Brockmont Drive has been abandoned since being gutted by a fire in November, the Glendale News-Press reported.

Although the owners of the home got a demolition permit last month, a pack of at least seven coyotes has been seen on the property, possibly using it as a den.

L.A. County agricultural officials were scheduled to visit the site Monday to consider placing traps inside the fire-damaged structure, said city spokesman Tom Lorenz.

During an earlier visit, the area was found to be too open to place traps, said Michael Pearson of the Los Angeles County Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights and Measures.

Next-door neighbors Cathy and Terry Molloy videotaped six coyotes running and milling about in their backyard about two months ago. They said the coyotes had come from the backyard of the burned-out residence.

Gary Naeve, who lives across the street, said he has seen as many as four coyotes at one time.

ALSO:

Witnesses sought in Santa Monica beach assault

Still no cause in fire that destroyed Jack Nicholson home

93-year-old woman pistol-whipped, tied up in home-invasion robbery

-- Mark Kellam, Times Community News

Photos: A coyote at the burned-out Glendale home. Credit: Times Community News

Comments 

Advertisement










Video