L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Zsa Zsa Gabor: Controversy over 25th anniversary party

Zsa Zsa Gabor's billboard on Sunset Boulevard

Despite Zsa Zsa Gabor's failing health, Prince Frederic Prinz von Anhalt threw an anniversary party Sunday to celebrate their 25 years of marriage.

The party at the couple’s Bel-Air home was reportedly attended by celebrities such as Phyllis Diller, Frank Stallone and Quincy Jones, as well as several media outlets.

Von Anhalt noted he’d been criticized for throwing the bash: “People attack me for this and say, ‘How can you do it for a sick woman?’ ”

“Look,” he said, “my wife is 94 years old. She should have everything she wants and should have everything large. This big party is not for the guests, not for the media, not for me -- this big party is for Zsa Zsa.”

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Von Anhalt told KABC-TV that being married to Gabor for 25 years was something he “really [wanted] to celebrate.”

“It’s 25 years with Zsa Zsa Gabor. It’s a big thing, it’s a huge thing, and I made it,” Von Anhalt said. “So many husbands didn’t make it -- they only made it a year or two. I made it 25 years so I must have done something right.”

Gabor, 94, and Von Anhalt, 68, were married Aug. 14, 1986. Gabor had been married eight times before.

Gabor has been in and out of the hospital in the last year after suffering several health problems stemming from a broken hip. In January, one of her legs was amputated after an infection.

Von Anhalt said his wife was wearing a small tiara and her favorite pink dress at the party, which she watched from her bed.

“She looks beautiful,” Von Anhalt said. “For what she’s been through -- she lost her leg and has been in the hospital -- she looks really good for what she’s been through.”

The party also stirred up some controversy after Von Anhalt said Spago/Wolfgang Puck was providing an anniversary cake.

In a statement Friday, Spago founder and co-owner Barbara Lazaroff shot down those claims, citing an ongoing dispute between Von Anhalt and Gabor’s only child, daughter Francesca Hilton, over Gabor’s medical care.

“Spago is neither providing a cake or any cuisine for this event whatsoever,” Lazaroff said. “I fully support Zsa Zsa’s daughter Francesca Hilton in her quest to have visitation rights to see her mother and to receive independent evaluation of Zsa Zsa’s mental and physical health.”

Hilton did not attend the party, the statement said.

Last month Von Anhalt paid a reported $68,000 for a billboard on Sunset Boulevard as an anniversary present to his wife. The billboard depicted the couple and noted that they would be celebrating “25 years and counting” on Aug. 14.

ALSO:

Prehistoric flying creature lands on Cardiff surfer statue

Red Bull energy drink thefts 'becoming a huge deal,' police say

BART anticipates more cyber attacks from 'Anonymous' hackers

-- Kate Mather

Correction: An earlier version of this post incorrectly spelled the name of Phyllis Diller.

Photo: Billboard on Sunset Boulevard commemorates Zsa Zsa Gabor and Prince Frederic Prinz Von Anhalt's 25th wedding anniversary. Credit: Matt Sayles / Associated Press

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: