L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

D.A. will not prosecute Saudi prince in Tower Lane project

August 10, 2011 |  6:18 pm

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office has declined to prosecute a Saudi prince who owns land in Benedict Canyon, saying there was insufficient proof that the prince or his agents lied when they sought applications to build a mansion complex on Tower Lane.

After hearing from influential neighbors who opposed the Tower Lane project, Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Koretz contacted City Atty. Carmen Trutanich and told him of alleged inaccuracies, discrepancies and omissions in project paperwork. Trutanich referred the matter to the district attorney.

In an Aug. 5 letter to the city attorney's office, the D.A.'s office said there were "significant proof problems regarding a perjury charge." The D.A.'s office added that, if the city attorney believed a felony had been committed, it should refer the case to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The 5.2-acre property is in the city of Los Angeles, on the border of Beverly Hills. It is owned by Prince Abdulaziz ibn Abdullah ibn Abdulaziz al Saud, a son of Saudi King Abdullah.

The initial application for an 85,000-square-foot compound, since withdrawn, included a 42,000-square-foot main house, a son's villa and other structures. A more recent application calls for a somewhat reduced project.

Ben Reznik, an attorney for the prince, said the letter "confirms that the complaints raised by [neighbors] ... are totally frivolous."

RELATED:

Neighbors unite against proposed 'megamansion'

Saudi prince pulls plans for Tower Lane 'megamansion'

Saudi prince scales back plans for Benedict Canyone Compound

 

--Martha Groves

Comments 

Advertisement










Video