Driver who killed pedestrian while texting pleads no contest
A 21-year-old Tujunga woman pleaded no contest Friday to striking and killing an 80-year-old Glendale man with her car last year while she was texting, officials said.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Patrick Hegarty ordered Ani Voskanian to serve three years' formal probation and 300 hours of community service and to develop a lecture program for junior and high school students on the dangers of texting while driving, officials said.
Voskanian — who pleaded to a felony manslaughter charge for killing Misak Ranjbar — will not be allowed to possess a cellphone while inside a vehicle, officials said. Her license was also revoked for three years, her attorney told the Glendale News-Press.
“In this particular case, there is a tragic loss of a father of a family. On the other hand, another family could have lost their daughter,” said Glendale Police Det. Ashraf Mankarios, who was the lead investigator in the case. “Although she will suffer the consequence as the result of this, in the end, both families came together, hugged and appear to be healing.”
--Veronica Rocha, Times Community News
Photo: Ani Voskanian. Credit: Glendale Police Department