L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Double murder suspect wore disguises, wigs to avoid capture

August 22, 2011 |  7:38 am
The scene of the arrest of a suspect in a Chatsworth double slaying, early Monday morning in Encino
A double-murder suspect arrested Monday morning in Encino wore disguises -- including wigs -- to elude capture, according to Los Angeles police officials.

Brent Zubeck, wanted in connection with the deaths of a Chatsworth couple found in trash bins outside their home, had been hiding out since the Aug. 12 slayings, according to police. His arrest early Monday capped an hours-long standoff that began Sunday night and shut down parts of Encino. More than 100 law-enforcement officers and personnel searched for the suspect, police said.

Suspect Brent Zubeck Zubeck, who had lived at the Lassen Street house where the couple's bodies were found,
was "a master of disguise," an LAPD source told the Los Angeles Times.

Police had gotten a report that Zubeck might be attending a party Sunday night in Encino.

Detectives were following him outside a Ralphs at Ventura Boulevard and Libbit Avenue about 9:30 p.m. Sunday when he turned and shot at them before fleeing on foot.

Police closed off a square-mile area as they pressed their house-to-house search with the help of dogs.

Zubeck was eventually spotted and shot in the hip by police, who took him into custody.

ALSO:

2 shot after Raiders-49ers football game at Candlestick Park

Rep. Maxine Waters says 'the "tea party" can go straight to hell'

Videotape might help to solve the fatal subway stabbing in Hollywood

-- Andrew Blankstein

Photos: The scene at the arrest of double slaying suspect early Monday morning in Encino. Credit: KTLA News. Suspect Brent Zubeck. Credit: Los Angeles Police Department

Comments 

Advertisement










Video