L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

BART admits interrupting cellphone service during protest

August 12, 2011 |  3:37 pm

Photo: The Bay Area Rapid Transit. Credit: Los Angeles Times The Bay Area Rapid Transit District acknowledged Friday that it interrupted cellphone service at some stations earlier this week when activists threatened a civil disturbance.

BART said it took the action out of concern for the safety of subway users.

"A civil disturbance during commute times at busy downtown San Francisco stations could lead to platform overcrowding and unsafe conditions for BART customers, employees and demonstrators," the transit system said in a statement.

The shutdown occurred Thursday.

Officials said cell service outside the BART station was not affected and that BART officials and police were available to deal with user emergencies.

Protesters were demonstrating against the shooting of a man carrying a knife on a subway platform on July 7.

[Updated at 4:08 p.m.: According to the Associated Press, the man was shot by BART police officers in the Civic Center subway station. Police say he was carrying a knife and appeared to be drunk.]

ALSO:

Life sentence handed down in rape, murder of 23-year-old man

A boy's bones: With grisly discovery, an old mystery is unraveled

Jeremy Henwood remembered as 'a true warrior' as a Marine, police officer

-- Shelby Grad

Photo: The Bay Area Rapid Transit. Credit: Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video