Randy and Evi Quaid extradition request denied
The Santa Barbara County district attorney’s office says its request to seek the extradition of actor Randy Quaid and his wife, Evi Quaid, from Canada to face felony vandalism charges has been denied.
The couple were arrested last September and charged with felony vandalism and misdemeanor trespassing for allegedly living in and causing more than $5,000 in damage to the guest house of a Montecito home they no longer owned.
The Quaids posted bail and were released, but after they failed to appear at several court hearings, bench warrants were issued for their arrest.
They were later arrested in Vancouver, where they sought asylum from what Randy Quaid called “Hollywood star-whackers,” an unknown group of conspirators he claims tries to rob or kill celebrities.
For months, Santa Barbara prosecutors have asked the U.S. Department of Justice -– the only agency that can request extradition from a foreign country -- to seek the Quaids’ extradition from Canada.
Senior Deputy Dist. Atty. Lee Carter reiterated Tuesday that the bench warrants issued in 2010 remain outstanding, and if the Quaids return to the U.S., they can be arrested.
Other than that, he said, there’s nothing prosecutors can do to bring them to trial.
“We have exhausted all our avenues,” Carter said. “So the next thing is to wait.”
-- Kate Mather
Photo: Actor Randy Quaid and his wife, Evi, last year in Vancouver. Credit: Jonathan Hayward / Canadian Press