L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Bid to view Michael Jackson's final rehearsals video rejected

July 25, 2011 | 10:46 am

Michaeljackson Jurors in the upcoming trial of Michael Jackson’s doctor will not see unreleased footage of the pop star’s final rehearsals, a judge ruled Monday.

The defense had conceded the raw video did not depict the singer as sickly.

Lawyers for Dr. Conrad Murray had reviewed 100 hours of outtakes from the Sony Pictures documentary “This Is It” for video consistent with their theory that a desperate Jackson accidentally caused his own overdose from a surgical anesthetic.

But in comments to the media last week that he reiterated in court Monday, defense lawyer J. Michael Flanagan said Jackson appeared healthy in rehearsals.

“Even on his bad days, he’s good,” Flanagan said.

He argued that jurors should still see four hours of footage that showed Jackson was often absent from practice sessions in the 10 days before his death, but Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor disagreed and granted Sony’s request to quash the defense subpoenas.

The judge had previously agreed to a prosecution request that jurors view clips from the completed documentary that show Jackson singing and dancing in the two days before his death.

Murray faces a maximum of four years in prison if convicted. Prosecutors contend he gave Jackson the drug propofol and failed to monitor him properly. Jury selection begins Sept. 8.

ALSO:

Rancho Cucamonga man allegedly kills wife, then tries to kill self

Stow beating suspect allegedly attacked 2 others at Dodgers game

Eagle Fire in northern San Diego County is 45% contained

-- Harriet Ryan

Photo: Michael Jackson. Credit: Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video