L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Judge rules for extradition of former 'Survivor' exec to Mexico [Updated]

July 12, 2011 | 11:54 am

Beresford-redman A federal judge in Los Angeles has found probable cause to extradite former “Survivor” TV show producer Bruce Beresford-Redman to Mexico to face charges he killed his wife in their suite in Cancun last year.

The judge also decided Tuesday not to allow Beresford-Redman’s 6-year-old daughter to testify in his behalf in the extradition proceeding related to the asphyxiation death of his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Chooljian made her decision after two hours of arguments but without hearing from the producer's daughter.

At the last minute, his attorneys and the girl's therapist decided she should not be subject to the trauma of the courtroom. The judge did allow into the record the girl's statement to therapists.

The U.S. Secretary of State must now make a final decision on whether Beresford-Redman will be extradited.

He is accused of asphyxiating Monica Beresford-Redman in April 2010 then dumping her body into a wastewater treatment tank.

The family vacation to Mexico was a last-ditch effort to repair the Rancho Palos Verdes couple's troubled 11-year marriage, according to U.S. prosecutors and Mexican police, who said Bruce Beresford-Redman's wife had caught her husband cheating and left him briefly in the month before her death.

[Updated at 12:01 p.m.: Jean Burgos, the victim's sister, said outside court, "I will do anything it takes for justice to take place."

Richard Hirsch, Bruce Beresford-Redman's attorney, said he and his client were "disappointed in the judge's ruling in this case."

He said he will seek to overturn the judge's decision in federal court. Hirsch said the decision was made not to have the daughter testify because it was a "very upsetting situation" for the young girl.]

ALSO:

Daughter's role in 'Survivor' producer's extradition case debated

Pregnant woman, unborn child killed in 134 Freeway crash

Robbers in $1-million heist used ruse to reach vault, sources say

-- Richard Winton at U.S. District Court in Los Angeles

Photo: Bruce and Monica Beresford-Redman. Credit: Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video