L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Homeless man dies after Venice beating; another transient arrested

July 13, 2011 | 10:04 am

A 52-year-old homeless man beaten on the streets of Venice has died from his injuries and another transient is now facing murder charges, police said Wednesday.

Los Angeles police detectives said the victim was initially believed to have fallen, but witnesses came forward saying his head injuries were the result of an attack.

Paramedics initially picked up the homeless man last week in the 600 block of Rose Avenue. The next day a person contacted the department claiming they saw the victim being punched and severely injured when he fell to the ground and hit his head, detectives said.

Investigators said they were able to identify another Venice transient, 50-year-old Frank Smith, as a suspect in the attack. He was arrested last week and charged with murder when the victim died Sunday of his injuries.

Detectives have yet to release the name of the victim because they have been unable contact his relatives.

Investigators are requesting anyone who may have witnessed the assault to call them at (310) 482-6372 or (310) 482-6373.

ALSO:

Nursing center indicted in patient death

Beach bar brawl in Corona del Mar leaves one hospitalized

Korean culture workshop continues Baca's community outreach

-- Richard Winton

Comments 

Advertisement










Video