Girl may lose sight in one eye after illegal fireworks accident
The girl was lighting a sparkler in front of her home in the 600 block of West 42nd Place about 11 p.m. Monday when someone lighted an illegal “firecracker-like” device near her face, according to Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott.
The device “impaled her right eye,” Scott said.
Paramedics transported the girl, whose name was withheld by the Fire Department, to Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, where doctors worked overnight to try to save the sight in her eye.
-- Kurt Streeter
Photo: Firecracker. Credit: KTLA-TV Channel 5.