L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Beverly Hills plastic surgeon won't be on call for Prince William after all

Photo: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Credit: Chris Jackson / Getty Images A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon won’t be looking out for Prince William’s health at a Santa Barbara polo match after all.

Dr. Toby Mayer, a member of the Santa Barbara Polo and Raquet Club, said he planned to be "on standby" at the event in case William needed medical help during his match. But organizers of Saturday’s charity polo event insisted Wednesday that Mayer had not been asked to attend the match.

“Toby Mayer is not associated with the event. That is an absolute fact. Dr. Mayer is a member of the Santa Barbara Polo Club, but this is a private charity event,” said Geannie Sheller, president of the Polo Training Center Santa Barbara. “It is not a polo club event.”

William and his wife, Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are scheduled to arrive in Los Angeles on Friday, and will stay in Southern California until Sunday evening.

Mayer said he had told polo club officials last week that he would be available Saturday if needed, and said the polo club had submitted his name last week to organizers. Mayer, who has given several interviews on the issue in recent days, said he was surprised that he won't be providing "standby" medical assitance for the prince.

“But he can sure buy a ticket if he’d like,” Sheller said.

Added Lauren Kay, spokeswoman for the Foundation Polo Challenge, which is hosting the event: “I don’t know if he’s bought a ticket, but I can assure you that he won’t be there to treat the duke or any player."

ALSO:

Heat and humidity to blanket Southern California

Oceanside may buy armored assault vehicle in case of terrorist attack

Huntington Beach won't sell land to Muslim group for mosque

-- Kate Mather

Photo: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Credit: Chris Jackson / Getty Images

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: