L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Reopened Angeles Crest Highway gets safety review after 3 deaths

July 5, 2011 |  8:20 am

Angeles Crest Highway.

State transportation officials have launched an investigation into the deaths of three motorists who killed in separate incidents within weeks of the reopening of the lower portion of Angeles Crest  Highway in June.

Officials will take a closer look at the factors involved in those deaths, including speed, location, vehicle type, weather and road conditions as part of the investigation, Maria Raptis, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation, told the Glendale News-Press.

The investigation — which will also include a look at the highway’s signage, traffic volume and enforcement — could take up to two months, Raptis said, after which officials will determine whether changes can be made to improve the safety on the twisting mountain highway which reopened last month after storm and fire damage closed it.

Caltrans’ plans for the seven-mile stretch between La Cañada Flintridge and Angeles Forest Highway had always been “to restore it to what it was,” Raptis said, adding that crews installed appropriate signs and metal guardrails to protect motorists.

ALSO:

Hiker rescued from Angeles National Forest

Trial to begin in slaying of gay middle school student

Girl may lose sight in one eye after illegal fireworks accident

--Veronica Rocha, Times Community News

Photo: Angeles Crest Highway. Credit: Times Community News

Comments 

Advertisement










Video