L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Father, son convicted of murder in Santa Ana shooting case involving human traffickers

A father and his son were each convicted of murder and attempted murder Wednesday for a shooting attack involving human traffickers in Santa Ana.

The investigation into the 2000 shooting went cold and was reopened last year by Santa Ana Police Department detectives who developed new leads that led to Wednesday's convictions, authorities said.

Manuel Hernandez Juarez, 60, who lives in Riverside, was found guilty of killing a human trafficker and wounding another smuggler to avoid paying $1,500 for bringing his son from Mexico, the Orange County district attorney's office said.

The son, Huber Juarez Vasquez, 38, was also found guilty of murder and attempted murder. He used a weapon brought by his father to shoot one of the smugglers during a meeting at a Burger King restaurant, according to prosecutors.

Both men are scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 5 at the Santa Ana courthouse.

ALSO:

Iguana meat seized at U.S.-Mexico border

Suspect charged in slaying of MTV music coordinator

L.A. city controller wants pay returned by employees found guilty of workplace wrongdoing

— Robert J. Lopez

Twitter: @LAJourno

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: