Possible arson fire sparked in high school bathroom in Huntington Beach
Officials are investigating a possible arson at Huntington Beach High School.
Huntington Beach firefighters responded to a minor fire at 9:55 a.m. Thursday after a smoke detector in the boy's bathroom went off. School staff found the bathroom filled with smoke, Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Lopez told the Huntington Beach Independent.
The staff had already put out the blaze by the time firefighters arrived three minutes after the call, Lopez said.
Combustible materials were ignited and placed in the plumbing access door in the bathroom wall, Lopez said. "We're assuming that it was done by a student," he said. "We expect it was done by a student versus a staff member. We'd be pretty surprised if it was done by a staff member."
-- Mona Shadia, Times Community News