L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Seven-hour Newport Beach standoff ends

May 9, 2011 |  2:32 pm

The man who barricaded himself in a home for seven hours is led away peacefully in the back of a police car after a standoff with Newport Beach police on Camden Drive.

Police took a man into custody after a seven-hour standoff Monday outside his Newport Beach home, Newport Beach Police Officer David Sanborn said.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, barricaded himself in the house in the 4600 block of Camden Drive after officers arrived at the scene about 3 a.m. Monday, Sanborn said.

A neighbor who contacted police said that two women were seen outside the home, and as officers made contact with the women, one said that she had been sexually assaulted and held against her will inside the home, Sanborn said.

Officers tried to make contact with the man and asked him to come outside, but he refused. A SWAT team and hostage negotiators responded to the area along with as many as 20 members of the Newport Beach Police Department.

Read the full story here.

ALSO:

California gets federal high-speed rail funds

Riverside police seek leads in child abduction case

Jaycee Dugard kidnapping memoir to be released in July

-- Lauren Williams, Daily Pilot / Times Community News

Photo: The man who barricaded himself in a home for seven hours is led away peacefully in the back of a police car after a standoff with Newport Beach police on Camden Drive. Credit: Don Leach / Times Community News

Comments 

Advertisement










Video