Schwarzenegger puts acting career on hold to focus on ‘personal matters’
Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is putting his acting career on hold while he focuses on his personal life, according to a statement released by his entertainment advisors.
"At the request of Arnold Schwarzenegger we asked Creative Artists Agency to inform all his motion picture projects currently underway or being negotiated to stop planning until further notice," said Patrick Knapp, entertainment counsel to Schwarzenegger. "Governor Schwarzenegger is focusing on personal matters and is not willing to commit to any production schedules or timelines. This includes Cry Macho, The Terminator franchise and other projects under consideration. We will resume discussions when Governor Schwarzenegger decides."
The statement comes after The Times' reported last week that Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, had separated after 25 years of marriage. The Times reported Tuesday that Schwarzenegger had fathered a child more than a decade ago with a longtime member of his household staff.
A bidding war took place at Cannes, France, last week to make two more installments of the "Terminator" franchise starring Schwarzenegger. And he signed to star in "Cry Macho," a dramatic turn that marks a departure from his action-hero roles. In the film, Schwarzenegger will play a horse breeder who wins the Kentucky Derby but descends into alcoholism and depression after his family is killed.
The film is being produced by Oscar winner Albert Ruddy, and Schwarzenegger will earn a reported $12.5 million for the lead role and take home 25% of its profits. Just Tuesday, Ruddy told The Times the film is "A-OK" and scheduled to start shooting Aug. 24.
-- Seema Mehta
Photo: Then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger speaks during a ceremonial bill signing for SB 944 and AB 1911 at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley on July 28. Credit: Al Seib / Los Angeles Times