L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Riverside girl's kidnapper left her 'for dead,' police chief says

May 17, 2011 |  3:15 pm

Jose Wilson Rojas Guzman. Click to enlarge. The 30-year-old man arrested this week in connection with the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 9-year-old Riverside girl had previously rented a room from the girl's mother, Riverside police said.

Jose Wilson Rojas Guzman, 30, of Riverside was arrested Monday. Guzman had been taken into custody on an immigration violation, authorities said at a news conference Tuesday. He is an illegal immigrant.

Police said DNA evidence found on the victim matched Guzman. He has been charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault and is being held on $1-million bail, and placed on an immigration hold.

Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz said he believes Guzman has molested other children. Guzman was charged with attempted murder because he had left the girl "for dead," Diaz said.

The victim, who was hospitalized with injuries related to the May 7 abduction, was asleep in her family's second-story apartment when she was abducted. She was dropped off hours later miles from her home in a neighborhood west of the Galleria at Tyler mall in Riverside. She knocked on doors asking for help around 1 a.m.

Her mother was at work at the time, and the oldest sibling was watching the children, police said.

RELATED:

Arrest made in kidnapping of 9-year-old girl from her Riverside home

-- Phil Willon in Riverside

Photo: Jose Wilson Rojas Guzman. Credit: Riverside Police Department

Comments 

Advertisement










Video