L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Lindsay Lohan expected to plead no contest this week in jewelry theft case

May 9, 2011 |  5:02 pm

Lohan

Actress Lindsay Lohan is expected to enter a no contest plea this week to a misdemeanor theft charge in connection with an incident four months ago, sources familiar with the case said Monday.

Lohan is accused of stealing a $2,500 necklace from a Venice jeweler.

One source familiar with the case said Lohan's attorney Shawn Holley may enter the plea Wednesday during a scheduled pretrial hearing. Lohan, 24, is not required to be present before the judge because it is a misdemeanor offense.

A source familiar with Lohan's thinking had previously told The Times that the actress wants "to get this all behind her and move forward in a positive and productive way" and that a no-contest plea "would be consistent with that."

Last month, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sautner reduced the charge in the case from a felony to a misdemeanor, a move that could significantly reduce the amount of time Lohan would spend behind bars if convicted. The judge said she thought the reduction of the charge was justified and that it occurs all the time in less high-profile cases.

Sautner has already sentenced Lohan to 120 days in jail for violating her 2007 drunk driving probation by taking the necklace. That sentence was appealed by the actress.

Lohan is scheduled to face trial June 3 in connection with the Jan. 22 theft from the Venice jeweler, Kamofie & Co.

ALSO:

California gets federal high-speed rail funds

Fire at Huntington Park food-processing plant

Woman charged with killing husband, shooting son in Mother's Day incident

-- Richard Winton

PHOTO: Actress Lindsay Lohan appears at the Beverly Hills Municipal Courthouse on July 20, 2010. CREDIT: Al Seib / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video